Gorleston Links Halt was a relatively simple affair, having two platforms
serving the double track line. It was situated midway between Gorleston-on-Sea
and Hopton-on-Sea stations on the Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Railway
route from Yarmouth South Town to Lowestoft Central. It was opened in
July 1914 for golfers visiting the adjacent golf-course and had a windswept
position on an embankment close to the bridge over Links Road.
During the first world war drastic reductions were made to passenger services
in order to be able to support vital war services and in May 1918 Gorleston
Links Halt was closed. The closure lasted until August 11th 1919 when
it reopened to support the increasing number of holiday makers heading
for the coast after the cessation of hostilities. The halt lasted in service
right up to the closure of the line on May 4th 1970 after which all traces
were quickly removed. The surrounding area has now totally changed, with
the bridge, embankment and halt disappearing under new housing developments.