Opening on July 13th 1913, Gorleston-on-Sea station was the major intermediate
station on the Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Railway route between Yarmouth
South Town and Lowestoft Central. The station buildings included a large
brick goods shed, signalbox, footbridge and an extensive coal depot.
Following the closure of the Beccles to Yarmouth South Town line to passengers
in November 1959, London expresses to Great Yarmouth were re-routed via
Lowestoft where they reversed, before running along the coast line through
Corton, Hopton and Gorleston-on-Sea. However this diversion did not last
long before some of the London trains were again re-routed into Yarmouth
Vauxhall. In 1966 all stations on the Lowestoft-Yarmouth South Town line
were made into unstaffed halts and finally after a lifespan of almost
57 years Gorleston-on-Sea station closed on May 2nd 1970 along with all
other stations on the route except Lowestoft Central.
Click on the following link to see a map
of the Gorleston-on-Sea station site in 1927 (150Kb